Our ask an influencer series is dedicated to interviewing elite influencers on their successes, goals and down to earth real advice! No matter if you are trying to break into the influencer market or are an established leader, this series will give you real practical advice that you can implement today to further your career.
Today we are talking with Elaine Rau from Lady Boss Blogger. Elaine Rau founded LadyBossBlogger.com and has garnered a massive online audience of 150,000+ followers across all her social media channels in under 3 years. It’s an online platform and blog that helps current and aspiring entrepreneurs learn how to start, grow and scale their own online businesses.
Elaine has been featured in 200+ magazines, books, and publications and has become a popular online influencer. She enjoys getting out from behind her blog to speak at conferences and colleges about blogging, social media, and influencer marketing.
How would you describe your brand?
I help current and aspiring female entrepreneurs learn how to build successful online businesses, blogs and personal brands. Check out my 3 signature courses below (use promo code LADYBOSS20 for 20% off simply because you’re reading this blog post!)
When did you start your journey as an influencer and brand?
What central message do you hope your audience will take away through following you?
- You have options… but not everything will work for you, which is why you must try different things.
- You are not stuck… unless you don’t do anything to change your circumstances.
- Education is power and will unlock what you want in life… if you don’t know how to do something, learn from someone who has accomplished what you want to accomplish. For example, I wanted to tap into affiliate marketing, so I took a course on it from a blogger I trust and admire.
- Living a lifestyle filled with freedom and travel isn’t as foreign as you may think… change your mind and you will change your life.
What 3 things does anyone starting in your industry need to know?
- Consistency is everything. If you constantly show up for your audience, you’ll make it easy for them to trust you as an expert and top resource. I haven’t failed to post a brand new blog post on my blog every single day from Sunday-Saturday for the past 2.9 years! I post the daily across all my social media channels as well. If you’re committed to your audience, they will be committed to you – it’s a two way street.
- Branding is just as important as your content – that is how you’ll stand out. I can’t tell you how many times my followers have told me how much they appreciate my content because they can recognize it immediately because of my signature pink color, my templates, and specific fonts. Your content needs to be good, but your branding is what will set you apart.
- It’s not about the numbers, it’s about your impact. Think about your funeral, who will be there? The people you have truly impacted during your life.
What would you do differently if you were starting in your industry now?
I would have started building my email list from day 1. As an online business owner, this is your bread and butter. Every single person you know probably has an email and every single person probably checks it at least once a day if not multiple times. Email is still the #1 way to stay in contact with your customers and fans.
Which people or books have had the most influence on your growth and why?
5 Day Weekend – this book transformed my way of thinking. My favorite quote from the book is:
“If you don’t find a way to make money in your sleep, you will work until you die.”
And guess what, the internet has made this 100% possible for us!
Lots of people ask me how many hours I work a week and it really varies, but with the help of automation tools such as: Teachable, ConvertKit, FreshBooks, SmarterQueue and Shopify I have complete time freedom.
Here are some good courses to check out that I took to grow my business:
- Affiliate Marketing – I learned everything about affiliate marketing from this 6-figure blogger.
- Pinterest Avalanche – I learned how to use Pinterest correctly from these two 6-figure bloggers.
Are any tactics particularly effective in helping you grow your audience online?
Share personal and relatable stories.
What would you say is the #1 key to success in your business?
Everyone defines success differently so this is a hard question to answer. My definition is impacting and empowering the younger generation of women to rise up and change the world as we know it. I’m doing this by providing mentorship and internship opportunities to equip college students with the confidence and the skillset they need to succeed once they graduate. Check out the lovely reviews my previous interns have left on my Youtube channel! <3
Is there anything else you would like to tell us?
Social media schedulers have saved me countless of hours! In fact, I have the majority of my posts scheduled to rotate every 90 days and haven’t touched my accounts for over a year! It looks like I’m online all the time when I’m totally not.
- SmarterQueue – social media scheduler that I’ve used to grow my following on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn on autopilot.
- Planoly – top Instagram scheduler because you can visually plan out your feed. Plus it’s one of the few Instagram-approved schedulers out there which is why you can auto post from it.
What’s most important to you when pursuing brand partnerships?
How relevant the product is to my actual lifestyle and audience.
How has your blog changed since you started? Any specific turning points?
I used to only post interviews with female entrepreneurs, then after a year I started accepting guest post submissions which was huge for me because the content I produced changed dramatically, but it was a great pivot point and my audience grew dramatically from that decision.
What advice would you give to brands and marketers looking to work with influencers for sponsorships?
Make sure your target audience is their main audience. If they have an influencer resume with their past work, that is a good sign because it means you know that they have worked with other brands and they are familiar with what is expected of them.
What does a typical day in your week look like?
Every single day is different, but a few things I do every week are:
- I talk to all my interns on Monday and coach them on how to do specific tasks.
- Go to different coffee shops near me to work.
- Schedule out posts on social media, my blog and my email list.
- Come up with new project ideas and delegate out tasks.
Thanks for chatting with us today Elaine.
If you have any questions that you would like to ask a leading influencer email us here at [email protected] or drop a comment below so that we can ask them in our future interviews.
A few free courses you may enjoy are:
You may like these articles: